CSF announces 2014 cast - national stars, perennial favorites
March 11, 2014
BOULDER, Colo. — The Colorado Shakespeare Festival has announced its 2014 season cast, featuring television and film actor Michael Winters, luminaries from the Denver Center Theatre Company, returning favorites and stars from CSF’s smash-hit 2013 season.
“We have so many audience favorites returning, and actors of national celebrity, new to us, that we're thrilled to be welcoming to Boulder and the Colorado Shakespeare Festival,” says Tim Orr, interim artistic director for the festival.
Winters, best known for his recurring role on TV’s “Gilmore Girls” and other Hollywood roles spanning a quarter of a century, will play Falstaff—one of Shakespeare’s greatest comic characters—in “Henry IV” parts 1 and 2 and “The Merry Wives of Windsor.” He has played Falstaff numerous times, including at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, the nation’s largest Shakespeare theater company.
Besides the Falstaff plays, the 2014 season features “The Tempest” and “I Hate Hamlet,” a contemporary comedy by New Yorker writer Paul Rudnick.
Among the other 2014 casting highlights are:
- Sam Gregory: The Denver Center favorite and CSF alum—the Denver Post dubbed him “the great Sam Gregory” after his turn as Atticus Finch in CSF’s “To Kill a Mockingbird”—will play the title role in “Henry IV” and John Barrymore in “I Hate Hamlet.”
- Fresh off an appearance as Claudius in the Denver Center’s critically acclaimed “Hamlet,” British actor Peter Simon Hilton will play the great sorcerer Prospero in “The Tempest.”
- Perennial CSF favorites Geoffrey Kent—who also is directing “The Tempest” following his hit, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” in 2013—and Jamie Ann Romero will take the stage once again.
- Tammy Meneghini, 2011 Denver Post Ovation Award winner, will play Mistress Quickly in the three Falstaff plays.
- Two of the young lovers from last year’s popular “Midsummer,” Jenna Bainbridge and Sammie Joe Kinnett, also will return—“Great chemistry,” wrote the Daily Camera.
For complete cast lists, bios and photos of the 2014 CSF acting company please go to coloradoshakes.org and click on the individual play pages.
Photo: Courtesy Michael Winters.